Monday, February 23, 2009

Introducing Kaz Harper Collins!


Our Boy


First of all, we want you to meet our newest family member and the love of our lives Kaz Harper Collins! The little guy came earlier than expected, but we couldn't be happier!
Let me back track to February 11th. That night, from about 12:30 a.m. on, I was having contractions on and off. They never turned into a consistent pattern, but to say the least, I didn't get any sleep that night. I tried to go to work that morning (I really wasn't prepared to have a substitute yet - my last day was supposed to be the 13th), but that didn't last long. Within an hour, I was on my way to the doctor. When I got to the doctor they determined that I was not in active labor but was on my way there. I was 1 cm dilated and more than 50% effaced. Kaz was still breech, so they did not want me to go into active labor. I was sent immediately to the hospital. This was all a very unexpected, so I had to call Jared at work and he had to go home get all our stuff and then meet me at the hospital. By the time he got to the hospital I was already admitted, triaged, and about 30 minutes away from entering the operating room. It all seems very surreal now - it happened so fast! They took me into the operating room around 12:00 p.m. and allowed Jared to come in after they had given me the spinal (anesthesia). It seemed like an eternity to me, but Jared said it seemed like seconds. Before we knew it, the doctor was telling Daddy to pull out his camera because the baby was almost here! Kaz was born at 12:21 p.m., was 8 lbs. 5 oz. and 20 1/2 inches. He cried very quickly, which was the most beautiful music to my ears! Of course, we could hear all the nurses going on about his head of hair! Jared was able to walk around and watch as they cleaned him up, weighed him, etc. Soon thereafter I had my beautiful baby boy in my arms! (Of course, Jared had to help me because I was shaking so badly). He was just looking at us with his bright eyes! To say the least, it was a whirlwind of a day, but the happiest of our lives!
Mommy meets Kaz

Of course Jared couldn't be a prouder father! He is in love with his son! Bless his heart, that first night at the hospital I really couldn't get out of bed and so he took over all the diaper changes and he rocked! I know that first day was very exhausting for him.

Daddy and Kaz




Kaz after his first bath

Another big surprise, besides the one of Kaz coming 2 weeks early, was the morning after Kaz was born, my mom surprised me at the hospital. I wasn't expecting her until the weekend because my parents and my sister had already scheduled their flights for my planned c-section on the 17th. I was beyond delighted that she was able to be there so quickly and of course I sobbed, which after a c-section hurts! It was a big help to have her there at the hospital with us. She was able to give Jared a break so he could go home and clean up!
Grandma Jan

Those days in the hospital were pretty crazy. I have to say that I was very happy to come home! He is such a sweet boy and I think I am the proudest mom on earth! I now know the meaning of that instant, deep, deep love for my child from the moment I laid eyes on him! I cry just at the thought of what an amazing miracle of God he is!


Going home!




Life at home is definitely changed forever, but we wouldn't have it any other way! Kaz is such a joy and we can't stare at him enough! He definitely is the most beautiful baby boy I've ever seen (not that I'm biased ). He really is a pretty content and "chill" baby - he has his father's personality. He really doesn't cry too much and is pretty scheduled throughout the night. I think last night he slept for a 4 hour stretch! We will try to continue to keep you updated. Hope you enjoy the pictures of our little man! Please keep the three of us in your prayers!











4 comments:

Mike and Lori said...

Hi Kaz, this is auntie Lori... I Love You so much!! I cannot wait to meet you and you are so handsome. :) I hope you're keeping mommy and daddy busy and alert! I am sure you are! I hope to see you before you start driving. We love you here in Indiana!! xoxxo...

Jess said...

Hey Bri!!!! The little guy is the most precious boy ever! I can't wait to meet him!!! I wish I could have been there to see you and Jared's face when he was born! You guys are going to be the best parents! Little Kaz is a very lucky guy! Can't wait to hear more about parenthood! Love you cousin!!! You did well! :)

Jennifer McGregor said...

CONGRATS! He is just adorable! We can't wait to meet him "in person"... we'll bring you dinner when things settle down and you are REALLY tired:) So happy for your little family!

Deb Harper said...

Hello to all,
Oh my gosh, I just love the bad hair day and the pic of Jim and Kaz sporting their ILLINI gear. I can't decide which one I like best. That little Kaz is turning into a handsome little man. Can't wait to meet him in person in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing the new Mom and Dad too.
Love,
Deb


Followers